Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Semana Santa: Prague, Czech Republic

***Scroll down for the beginning of Semana Santa.****

Stop #2 during Semana Santa was Prague! I was in Prague from March 25-27.  Prague was by far my favorite city from the three that I traveled too! Here I met up with the rest of the group from my program.  I was then traveling with Amanda, Abby, Alex, Dave, Luke, and Dan.  We had a good group and all had a room in the hostel together which was nice.

The first days that we were in Prague, we walked around the main square.  They also had an Easter market with a TON of food, and little stands selling souvenirs, and other materials.  The atmosphere was amazing even though it was cold.  That first day we went on a walking tour.  Each city had free walking tours which is so cool!  It's a great way to see the highlights of the city, learn a little history, all while on a budget.
Astronomical Clock
During the break of the walking tour, I finally found a cupcake and bought it!! I was so excited because I had been craving one since my birthday in February.  Later that day, we went to an ice bar! It is an entire room that is solely made up of ice! We got a free drink with it and got to wear these cool silver Heineken jackets.  We werent in the bar for that long, which I was fine with because it was freezing in there! The drinks came in a glass that was completely made of ice.  It was a lot of fun.


That night we went to the biggest club in all of Eastern Europe...apparently.  It was five levels and each floor had a different theme.  There was anything from hip hop, to current day, to oldies.  Our favorite room which we spent most of our time in was the oldies room.  It was like being at a wedding that plays all the classic songs! It was a blast!  We went on a Monday night and it was crazy.  I can't imagine what a weekend night would be like.

The next day we got a late start after our late night.  We ventured over towards the Prague castle.  First we went to stop at the John Lennon Wall.  After getting lost for about a half an hour and basically circling the direction we needed to go, we finally found it.  It was really amazing and the graffiti was incredible.  There were all sorts of drawings, quotes, and a lot of Greek letters!! I was sad not to find anything Delta Gamma on the wall.  But the wall wasn't as big as I expected.  Nonetheless, it was still amazing to look at.
John Lennon Wall
We then started our way back to the castle. The Prague castle is the biggest castle complex in all of Europe.  It contains multiple buildings within the castle walls.  It was literally like a little city in there and run like a little city back in the day.  We ended up getting there too late on Tuesday so we came back Wednesday to finish the tour.  It was really cool to see everything.

We ate a lot of good food while there.  I had a sausage in a bun which tasted like heaven and a little piece of home and summer.  Probably the best thing I ate the entire week.


Everything was so cheap there!! From the alcohol, to the food, to the clothing, to the souvenirs.  I don't know what that would have done to my bank account if I lived there.  But it was hard adjusting to the currency because 20 Czech monies=1 euro.  So I kept feeling like I was spending more than I actually was.

Then on Wednesday after seeing the castle, we got on a flight to go to Amsterdam.



No comments:

Post a Comment